Friday, September 15, 2006

Wii60? Guess not.

Nintendo announced yesterday that the Wii would retail in the United States for $250 on November 19, 2006. With a second controller, that will easily kick the price over $300.

For the past few months, most people had been anticipating a lower price because, unlike PS3 and 360, the Wii is not really an innovative machine in terms of graphics and CPU power (it lacks High-Def, etc). It innovates in gameplay via its controller. Someone coined the term "Wii60", a clever way of saying "Buy a Wii and an Xbox 360 instead of buying a PS3 -- both consoles will cost the same as the $600 PS3!"

In the end it turned out not to be true... Wii60 would cost $700+ with dual controllers, PS3 will cost around $650 with dual controllers. Though you could get the cheaper version of the 360 and cut the price down by $100.

Personally I have very little interest in the Wii. I enjoy playing HD games on the 42" plasma, or using the VGA cable I got to connect my 360 to a 20" Dell LCD computer monitor. Since my favorite game is Madden, and I play a lot, I can't really really imagine playing for several hours on end swinging my arms around with the Wii controller. I suppose I'm not really the Wii target audience, but I thought my Gamecube was a great console in the last generation.

Btw, what's up with J Allard's gamerscore? He really played 30 seasons on Madden 06? Did he simulate it for the achievement? I'm a huge Madden fan and I didn't even get that far. I didn't like the 360 version compared to the Xbox version last year. This year's 360 version is much better, though.

No comments: