Friday, October 13, 2006

Why are Macs getting more popular?

There is an article about this over at switchtomac.com.

I don't really think there has been a mad rush on Macs outside of the blogosphere, but I agree that Macs are increasing in popularity. My answer to this question is very simple: people use their own computers for less. Many people spend so much of our time inside of a web browser that it's hard to notice that it's on a Mac or on a PC. A lot of these same people have gotten burned by Kazaa or other Spyware on Windows, and it sounds safer to be on a Mac. They end up not really noticing the difference because of point #1.

For people like myself, it's almost impossible to consider moving to a Mac. I'd have to use Mono to use .NET. Mono's not bad, but it's also not VS 2005. I also have games that I like to play on my PC, which of course run on DirectX. Finally, one of my favorite programs is Rhapsody, which also doesn't run on a Mac (except in a web browser!)

However, this week when I was asking advice for possibly purchasing a laptop as a desktop replacement, I got a bunch of friends who are Mac fans recommending to buy a Mac. Here's why I wouldn't do that, in a nutshell:
  • BootCamp or no BootCamp, Apple does not support Windows innately. Until Macs ship from Apple with Windows pre-installed with a "Designed for Vista" sticker on them, BootCamp doesn't make up for this. I don't want to buy a Mac to run Windows and then find out Vista SP 1 wouldn't work on it (for example).
  • I really have no desire to run MacOS. It has some fancy features, but I just don't see the point when I have everything I need on Windows. There's also no killer app on Mac that I'm dying to have and can't have on my Windows box.
  • The hardware is somewhat cost competitive these days, but there lacks a benefit of theat hardware in light of first two points. Again, there's no killer feature about their hardware that isn't available from a PC vendor that supports Windows from the factory.
So, to my buddies who keep pounding on me to buy a Mac, thanks but no thanks! My last Mac is a Powerbook G3 that's collecting dust in my cube at work. I dropped $3100 on that thing, sold my PC, but then ended up buying a PC again within 6-9 months. It's just a path I tried a while ago and doesn't make sense anymore. Maybe later.

ps - I used to be a die hard Cult of Mac™ kind of guy in the 80s and 90s. I only owned Apple stuff from 1983 -> 1996. Except for my brief foray into owning a Mac in 1999 (aforementioned Powerbook), mostly what I do on a Mac is doodle around and wish I had a PC running Windows to get stuff done. But to each their own.

No comments: