Saturday, November 18, 2006

New rule: no more early console purchases

After being on the phone with Microsoft for about an hour tonight, I came up with a new rule.. I'm not buying any console again until it gets shrunk like the PS2 or PS One like 3 years after release.

Granted, I've gotten a lot of great use out of my first version PS2.  I bought Guitar Hero II tonight and pretty much played it for 4 hours straight.  But would it have mattered if I had waited until now to play all of the games I loved for that system?  

I also figured out that I've gotten the most entertainment out of any console ever from of PS2.  More than PS1 and more than my Genesis.  Let's break down all of the games I obsessed over for this console:

  • SSX, SSX Tricky, SSX 3.
  • All Maddens from 02-06
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • GTA 3, Vice City.
  • Guitar Hero 1 + 2

Those games have provided a massive amount of gameplay.  I probably would have kicked myself if I had bought only an Xbox or Gamecube in retrospect. 

So the moral of the story is to wait and see what has the best games in a couple years.  It's not worth dealing with early hardware problems, like I am now with my Xbox 360.  Not only will the hardware get cheaper and more stable, but the games get cheaper.  PS2 games used to be $50.  Now many of them are $40 since they're the Old and Busted compared to the New Hotness of the 360 and PS3.

Oh, and by the way, what the hell are these US companies like Microsoft thinking when outsourcing technical support to India?  The people over in India are really nice and helpful, don't get me wrong.  However, many just can't speak English very well.  A call takes 5x longer and just pisses me off in the process because I have to speak very slowly and have things repeated back to me. 

The benefits of outsourcing are a myth.  The communication, latent knowledge and timezone barriers defeat the whole point.  But that's another post for another time.

No comments: