Saturday, January 27, 2007

Happy Re-Installing Windows Weekend!

It was raining today in SF, so I figured, "What a perfect day to reinstall Windows!"

I've been running the Vista RC at home and the Vista RTM on a couple of work machines.  All in all, it's a good release.  But I decided last week that I'm not going to upgrade any of my home machines to Vista for the time being.  I really just don't want to fork over hundreds of dollars to upgrade my home machines at the moment, therefore ... it's time to re-install XP!

But why?  Why do I have to reinstall Windows?  I don't get viruses on my machine, no Spyware, etc.  What's the issue?

If you read my prior post on Visual Studio 2005 Standard, you'd get an inkling of all of the cruft that has collected on this system over the last 2 years.  I last installed Windows on this machine when I got a new motherboard (Memorial Day, 2005, I think).  Since then, there have been a lot of installs, uninstalls and reinstalls of all things .NET and Vista.  Beta versions of Orcas (the next version of Visual Studio), Vista SDKs, Game Development Studio, oh... and Monad.  Man did Monad screw up my system badly.  I love it when you install software that depends on a beta of a .NET framework, then won't let you uninstall it if the beta .NET framework gets upgraded.  Man, that's sweet installer design right there.

Long story short, my Windows install was screwed up badly.  The good news is that I got a new DVD-RW drive a few months ago that is much, much faster at reading CDs.  Combined with xcopy and a second hard drive, I reinstalled Windows in probably half the time it took me last time around.  I think I'm getting good at this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have similar problems with .NET Framework 3.0. Somewhere along the the line the Registry got horked or something, and now every single WinFX-based app I try to install from Microsoft pops up an obscure error about a chained installer failing (with no useful diagnostic information whatsoever, of course) and refuses to install. I ran the .NET Framework 3.0 Uninstaller, and it hosed my Visual Studio help. :-/

Microsoft needs to dump or fix Windows Installer, because it's too easy to break installs and make it impossible to reinstall or uninstall.