Saturday, March 08, 2008

Got DPC?

My new PC was having a problem where I'd find it spending 15% (i.e. 60% of one of the 4 CPUs) on "System" in the task manager. Installing process explorer (a must have for any Windows user) on interrupts and deferred procedure calls (DPCs).

Searching around didn't yield much, but I finally found a Japanese page that hinted at it being sleep mode. After doing a couple of tests with putting my machine in sleep and disabling drivers, it turned out that the Intel 82562 V ethernet adapter was the culprit. The Japanese page suggested setting ProcessorAffinityMask. That didn't work for me. Instead I just turned off all of the wake-on-lan abilities of the card:
  • Go to Control Panels / Administrative Tools / Computer Management
  • Click on device manager
  • Select your network adapter under the "Network adapters" section in the right panel
  • Select Properties
  • Go to the Power Management Tab and uncheck all boxes. Here's a pic of the Power Management tab.




Hope that helps anyone who has this problem. At first I had written the CPU time being sucked up to Vista's amazing indexing service. But when I woke my computer this morning and the CPU was already above 47 C, I got a little suspicious. Turned out it was Intel's wake on lan feature. By the way, this was on an Inspiron 530, for those of you looking for the answer on Google.

No comments: