Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Kelsey's Road House

One gem in my hometown is a restaurant called The Kelsey Road House, which can be found over on... well... Kelsey Road.

It's referred to as Kelsey's Road House by everyone I know, either because it was once called that or because nearly all restaurants in Chicagoland end with 's. Therefore it's automatic that we append it to all restaurant names as a result. Even today I've been known to refer to fancy restaurants with 's, like "Michael Mina's".

Kelsey's is an underground road house, so there's no real facade to feature, but here are some pictures anyway.

Here's the old-timey looking sign out front.



Here's a picture of their pizza



Above the stairs there's a stained glass picture of the "kelsey girl". This is the outfit the waitresses used to wear there. Of course, this outfit has presumably has earned Kelsey's a number of lawsuits, and this outfit is long gone, but now you know why this restaurant had a lasting impression on prepubescent boys in the early 80s.



Anyway, the point of this post is to note how strange it is when music triggers memories. Today I was listening to a playlist that should just be called the Kelsey's Mix, because it was all of the songs that were on the radio when I was there as a kid.

  • Steely Dan - especially "Peg" and "Hey Nineteen"
  • Chicago
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Genesis
  • And, of course, Gerry Rafferty's legendary tune "Baker Street". This song must have been on "loop" for a couple years.
So if you're ever looking at my Facebook or Zune profile and are wondering how I could possibly be listening to Steely Dan -- which my wife calls "elevator music with no soul" -- now you know. It all comes back to Kelsey's.


ps - their menu looks like it is completely random, however one of the things I used to love there when I was about 8 were their tacos. Not sure if their pizza is as good as it was when that picture was taken about 7 years ago.

No comments: