Friday, November 28, 2008

VPN on a VM Rocks

My employer refuses to upgrade to Cisco's AnyConnect VPN server, so, like many out there, I've had no VPN for my Vista x64 machine at home. The other day, I bit the bullet and installed Virtual PC to run VPN in a virtual machine. I installed Vista x86 in the VM and away I went.

Let me just say that this is the way I should have been using VPN years ago. Not only can I use it on my big home computer monitor (as opposed to my small work laptop), but I can still use my normal cable modem and home network rather than routing everything through VPN.

So even if my employer buys the latest VPN software, chances are I'm going to continue using it inside of a VM. It's a great setup.

4 comments:

sheigh said...

ugh, nerd.

Trimbo said...

Duh.

Jason Tatum said...

Ah, yes, I've been doing the same thing for over a year now. Running a VirtualPC with XP as the OS on my Vista 64-bit just so I can use the stupid Cisco VPN for work because the VPN client only works in 32-bit Vista. Man I hate Cisco software. And Cisco AnyConnect (or whatever it's called) sucks anyway because they got rid of IPSEC. Tards.

alex smith said...

We all know how much vpn(Virtual Private Networks) are valuable to each service on the web and the Client. Along with that we also know how much high costs are associated with each VPN connections.