- Journey's "Separate Ways". Reminds me of a high school field party I went to and Astra sang this song with her band. Makes me feel old now to think of that party. [BTW, her rendition of it was awesome. It's no wonder she's a bona fide Rock Star now.]
- Foreigner "That was Yesterday". Doesn't remind me of a specific memory, but maybe it's just the fact that it's about it being yesterday that depresses me.
- John Cougar "Jack and Diane". I remember very well driving around to this song after our sitter Susie just got her driver's license. Again, making me feel old.
- Anything by Pink Floyd. Well first of all, it's mostly just depressing music. Second of all, it reminds me of the earlier years of high school where I used to sit around listening to it all the time. I was like, "Two Suns in the Sunset... that's sooo deep man. It means nuclear war.
".It was pathetic.
- The Unforgettable Fire. Oh my god I listened to this album on the bus every day for at least a year. It's a spectacular album but when I hear "Wire", all I can flash back to is sitting on the bus with my yellow Sony Sports walkman, trying to drown out the tongues-speak of an evil bus driver.
- Most hair-glam like Slaughter or Warrant. I never liked these bands, but they remind me of working at FlipSide (a defunct record store) in Wauconda.
Although, that's not to say I don't have recent stuff I can't listen to anymore because it reminds me of scarring times in my life. I won't go into the whys of these:
- Black Grape, the entire album of "Stupid Stupid Stupid"
- Garbage "2.0" album, esp "The Trick is to Keep Breathing"
- Cursive "Such Blinding Stars for Starving Eyes"
- The Postal Service.