Saturday, January 03, 2009

Digital Cinematography coming along

As someone who has had to pull mattes off of the CRAP film called Vision 500T (5279) that cinematographers loved to shoot blue and greenscreens with, I'm glad to see the number of films shooting with digital is on the rise.

Aside: I've previously predicted the end of mainstream (i.e. Walgreens) C-41 film developing in the United States will come sooner than most think. E-6 went from being developed widely to being developed at maybe one or two labs per major city practically overnight. K-14 was reduced from several labs in the country to just one in about the span of two years (2001-2003). So I'd say we're on our way to seeing no mainstream consumer film processing within the next 2-3 years.

In any case, the sooner filmmakers ditch film, the better off they'll be (and we'll be -- if anyone cares, I can explain why in detail sometime). So I decided to check out on IMDB how many filmmakers have used Red One. Turns out, it's a lot. And they've been using it as early as 1927! (Ok....I think that's some kind of error in IMDB)

No comments: