Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I feel cool because I got dissed

Mark Cuban apparently removed my comment from his blog.  Mark Cuban read my comment and removed it!  Whoo hoo.

He has this ridiculous idea that a profitable, growth-oriented business can be started in 90 days.  My response on his blog was “Franchise a Dairy Queen.”  He deleted it.

Ok, so I understand that that response is a little cheeky because Cuban once said that the referees in the NBA couldn’t manage a dairy queen, then ended up having to manage a DQ for a day to save face.  But still, my point remains.  The kinds of businesses that you can build and make profitable in 90 days are pretty lame.  Maybe a lawn mowing or dog walking business could do it.  Writing software and make it profitable in that amount of time?  Please.  Maybe if you’re doing yet another Twitter knockoff or some stupid shit.  But his other requirement is “no ad sponsored businesses.”

And if you read the ideas there you quickly find out that the ideas proposed will never make money.  Maybe that’s what Cuban is trying to prove, that there are no simple businesses left.  I don’t really know.  But you just can’t make the kind of money you used to with a simple business unless you have a massive ad budget (e.g. Walmart, or Safeway).

I wish him luck trying to find something good in all of the chaff posted to the comments on his blog right now.  I personally think he has his work cut out for him.  There just aren’t that many great ideas that can be profitable that quickly.  Or maybe… how about repossession or foreclosure.  That could be pretty good.

1 comment:

Kathy Schrenk said...

Wasn't he gonna buy the Cubs? How about making them profitable in 90 days. Oh wait, they are, so it doesn't matter if they ever win the WS.