Monday, March 30, 2009

Microsoft has a serious problem: tl;dr

What the hell is Windows Live Framework? What is Azure? What is Mesh? What is .NET?

For years, Microsoft has had serious issue with tl;dr (too long; didn’t read). They can’t sum up what advantages (if there are any) we can get by buying one of their products.

By the way, I’ve kind of figured out Azure. And .NET I finally figured out maybe in 2005, but if anyone can explain what Live Framework is, I’d appreciate a shout out in the comments. I spent the last 10 minutes trying to find any good summary of what it does and can't.

1 comment:

b said...

I completely agree with you. I still don't know what OneNote is because I don't feel like installing it to figure it out. I didn't figure out .NET until 2003 or 2004 even though I looked into it and deemed it worthless in 2000. I don't know what Azure is or Live Framework. Plus they've traditionally had problems by developing overlapping products. Or look at the ubiquitous "ActiveX" moniker. That took me years to figure out that they used it for several different technologies in addition to also having names like COM or COM+ that refer to similar things.

They need some kind of marketing czar who has the ultimate say in what are the featured products and how they are presented to the consumer. If they can't tell me through the name of the product or in one summary paragraph what problem the product is solving then they failed.