Friday, May 01, 2009

Jenny McCarthy should be in jail

You know how people think the government is oppressive for even talk that people be mandated to immunize their children? Well, this is on area where I'm willing to give up my libertarian views and say yes, the government should require vaccination or go to jail. And I am traditionally very skeptical of anything that is for "the greater good." But by not vaccinating, a person is needlessly putting children at risk before they can be vaccinated, and those people should be punished for that.

Furthermore, certifiable nutjobs like Jenny McCarthy who spread fear about vaccination, or those who allow them time on public airwaves should be fined by the FCC. I do not care about the first amendment on this. Children are needlessly dying because assholes like McCarthy use the Today show to spread fear. The media should be held liable for putting people like this on TV. If a producer at NBC would take the time to read McCarthy's website, it becomes obvious it reads like nutjob pseudoscience:

  • "Consider giving high doses of Vitamin C (3,000-5,000 mg per day) on the day before, of, and after vaccination."
  • "Consider no more than one vaccine per doctor’s visit."
Yet they still allow them on TV. Unbelievable.

Finally if this video about morons in Australia who refused to vaccinate doesn't rip your heart out and sway your opinion on this, you have no soul





Have I made myself clear?

1 comment:

Clong said...

Chris, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been thinking about writing a post about this myself. To get an idea of how the hysteria over vaccines developed and why people still cling to it, check out Dr. Paul Offit's book "Autism's False Prophets." The media has a lot of culpability for giving untested and frankly ridiculous pseudo-science a platform. Gonna stop now before I go off on a tirade. Good post.