Friday, May 15, 2009

No more auto-detune!

I decided to listen to the "Top 100 songs on iTunes" list on Zune (they mirror the top 100, so subscribers can listen -- yes I resubscribed, I'm weak).

In any case, I've listened to 5 of the top 100 so far and 3 of them had that stupid auto-tune effect used by T-Pain, originally made popular by Cher. Of the Black Eyed Peas, Flo Rida, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and Jamie Foxx (with T-Pain), I think the only ones that didn't use the effect were Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, check out this spoof of auto-tuning.



I'm going to start calling this effect "auto detune", because it sounds so awful (except is very funny in the above).

1 comment:

Mark said...

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 tracks used auto-tune. The three you mentioned just have it cranked up. It's a lazy studio production trick so people don't have to hit notes anymore. Alicia Keys uses it! She can sing, but rather than take the time to hit the note, they just tweak it with auto-tune.

I really dislike it, but I finally caved and got Kanye's last album. It's got some great tunes on it if you can get past the auto-tune. The Pitchfork review for the album made a good case for auto-tune in this case (basically, the songs dont' work if Kanye isn't the one performing the track).